The holiday season – Thanksgiving through the New Year – gives us a time of joy and celebration. However, it also presents a period when your home’s plumbing system faces extra stress. With guests arriving and more cooking happening, homeowners must ensure their plumbing can stand up to the task. This blog post will guide you through essential tips to protect your plumbing, focusing on water heater inspection, drains, and faucets.
Inspect Your Water Heater
No one wants to be caught without warm water during food prep, cooking, and sanitization. Make sure the water heater works in prime condition.
- Check for Leaks: Look around your water heater for any signs of leaks. Even small drips can indicate a bigger problem.
- Test the Pressure Relief Valve: This critical valve ensures safety. We recommend testing it periodically to ensure it works correctly.
- Flush the Tank: Over time, sediment can build up in your water heater, reducing efficiency. Flushing the tank helps maintain its performance and longevity.
- Set the Right Temperature: Keep the temperature around 120°F to prevent scalding and save on energy costs.
If you need help with maintaining your water heater, or you need a replacement, contact your dependable, reliable, and courteous neighborhood plumbing experts.
Maintain Your Drains and Toilets
For the sake of the health of the people in your home, you must have working drains and toilets to remove waste from your kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry. Here we provide a few tips for drain maintenance.
- Avoid Clogs: Be mindful of what goes down your drains. Avoid disposing of cooking oils, grease, and non-biodegradable items in the sink. Make sure no one flushes anything other than toilet paper down the toilet.
- Use Strainers: Place strainers in sink drains to catch food particles and hair, preventing them from causing clogs.
- Regular Cleaning: Use a mixture of hot water, baking soda, and vinegar to clean your drains regularly, keeping them free-flowing.
If you get caught with a clog, don’t worry. We can help. Give us a call.
Care for Your Faucets
Make a great impression with plumbing fixtures. They can both decorate a room and make a statement and provide an excellent experience for sinks, showers, and baths. These tips can keep the clean and potable water flowing without surprises when company comes calling.
- Check for Leaks: Inspect all faucets for drips or leaks, and fix them promptly to save water and prevent damage.
- Clean Aerators: Remove and clean the aerators on your faucets to ensure a steady, even water flow.
- Winterize Outdoor Faucets: If you live in a cold climate, make sure to winterize outdoor faucets to prevent freezing and bursting pipes.
Inspecting and maintaining your plumbing system can save you from costly and stressful repairs during the holiday season. By following these simple tips, you can ensure that your home is ready for all the festivities and your plumbing remains in top shape.
Call DRC Plumbing and Sewer at 708-203-7057 or click the link below request a free estimate.